Monday, January 29, 2007

Fire, exclamation mark. Fire, exclamation mark.

Dear Sir / Madam.

On Friday night, after Ashley's great Birthday party at the ice skating rink that left my feet rather sore, some friends and I decided to make best use of the laser tag (lock on) set that had been loaned to Kids4Life and was destined for return that very next Saturday.

At about 10:30 we took the laser tag gear down to our local lake although Craig didn't want to come along. We played a few games around the boat shed, which was good but a bit too big and open. As it approached midnight, we shifted out game down to the now abandoned children's playground, as this was a closer setting with much more cover. During the very first round I was crouched behind cover on a platform with a fireman's pole out to the side, and heard two people of the opposing team crawling around underneath me. I then had to brilliant idea to slide down the pole with one arm while using the other to shoot both members of the opposing team commando style, then running for cover before they had a chance to react.

I still need to practise my one handed power slide down a pole however because my execution of this hasty plan was poor at best. I jumped at the pole and before sliding even a few inches, I had lost my grip and landed horizontal on the ground, with my left knee being the first point of impact, followed by my left forearm scraping painfully across the sand. The next thing, I've been shot twice by the opposing team members I was meant to surprise, and I'm hopping away in agony yelling 'don't shoot, don't shoot, I'm injured!' Within a few minutes my knee recovered, but it took a couple of days for my arm to stop stinging.

I'm three paragraphs into my blog post and you're probably wondering where the fire is. Patience my young padawan. So a few rounds into dm_playground, and I'm sitting on the bench waiting for everyone else on my team to run out of lives so I can play again. Then someone calls out 'is that a fire over there?' I stand up and look and sure enough, there is a reasonably large fire well under way on the other side of the lake. Straight away Steve Y. calls 000 and informs the authorities of it. We pack up the laser tag and within a few moments the fire brigade has arrived. They put it out within a few minutes, and we went over there to talk to them but they didn't seem very interested in talking to us. It turns out the fire was fuelled by a stack of hay bales left over from the Australia Day celebrations that day, and upon asking one of the fire fighters they said it did look suspicious.

In closing,

Looking forward to hearing from you.

All the best, Maurice Moss

(Gotta love the I.T. Crowd)

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Steff said...

Nice touch with the emergency email tags, not to mention the map name ;-)

Bit of a clumsy hero, eh? Hope you're not too hurt. Just practise up for next time. Hopefully I can join you guys then - I love Lock On!

12:21 AM  
Blogger Stoz said...

Yes, I'd been looking forward to writing this post for days, if only to include 'Fire, exclamation mark'. I'm glad you picked up on the dm_playground, which is a throw back to the naming convention used for half life maps and it's mods. Death Match games were dm_, while in Counter-Strike bomb diffuse maps started with de_, etc.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Steff said...

01189998819991197253

6:51 PM  
Blogger Craig said...

you know a few days ago i didnt understand any of these it crowd jokes that you've used but now that ive seen the episode with them in it i actually get it, good show that is i like the one with the mug with his picture on it

11:55 PM  
Blogger Achi Myachi said...

...3!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Achi Myachi said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HbYK1eLPdIc

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home