Thursday, January 11, 2007

Download

I'm sitting here now thinking that this blog post that I've been wanting to write for a couple of hours isn't going to come out nearly as good as I hoped.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

These lasts few days I've been left pretty much on my own. If you're reading this soon after I post it, then you must be one of the half dozen people left on the Internet these days. Most people seem to have jumped ship for two weeks, either for Kids4Life or Champion City, two holiday programs running in Bendigo and Warnamabool respectively. This includes most of the blogs I read, not limited to Steff, Sammy, Cara, Craig, Trav and Rachel. Yes I know you're still out there somewhere Switch.

I wouldn't be surprised if you're still sitting there mystified by the title of this post, which I chose because I want to download (or more accurately, upload) a whole bunch of thoughts from the last few days into my blog.

...lucky you ;-)

Firstly I've been thinking more about music in my life. On the way to work, I heard a really good song on the radio this morning and it got me in a really good frame of mine for work and I was ready to run in there and give it the best effort I could (interestingly I can't even remember the song right now!) however this doesn't happen every day because not every song on the radio is really that good. I'd really like a way to listen to my own music in the car of a morning, weather that means buying a new iPod after my one broke last year or getting a CD player, I don't really know, but I think it is something I should really be thinking about sooner, rather than later.

Continuing on the topic of thinking about things, with Craig away at Kids4Life as I mentioned earlier and my other housemate John still in England, I'm left here with a full house all to myself. Appart from finding the first night a little spooky I have found it interesting and discovered a few things. I learnt that by myself, dishes actually take a lot longer to grow, it's a lot quieter, and if it hadn't been so hot I would probably sleep better too. I am a bit lonely though without anyone here, and I know that I would never like to live on my own for any extended period of time. I don't know how Karen managed to do it for so many years, which reminds me that she tells me that in this regard I am quite like her brother Trav, in that he too would probably go quite crazy living by himself. Not that I would go crazy... just lonely. Oh and I also learnt that I can park in the driveway rather than the front of the house, although this one actually took me 3 days to learn.

I've started taking my Christmas decorations down, I promise. One sets of balls is off the tree and the rest will be coming down shortly.

At net ball tonight we were winning at the start of it and I was going to blog about it. We ended up losing though so I am much less inclined to blog about it now.

On the way to net ball however I was thinking through that this year I really want to give whatever I'm involved in my absolute best effort, and that if I'm not going to give a particular activity a full effort, then I don't really think it's worth doing at all. Things I resolved to give my best effort to were Work, Odyssey, Explorers and the sound at Church. I'm sure there are others that I will add to that list.

It does bring me to another dilemma though, which is that I have been feeling for a little while that my week nights tend to be a little full. With going to my Mum's on Monday, Young Adults on Wednesday, net ball on Thursday, Odyssey on Friday and Grads on Sunday, I only really have Tuesdays and Saturdays left. With the introduction of 40 days of purpose this term, as well as mid-week drama practise some weeks for Explorers, I can only see it getting worse. There aren't really many of those I can justify cutting out, but I think it's just too much for me.

Tough decisions

And on the way back from net ball I had to wait at the crossing for a big freight train. 18 Carriages. I really like trains.

One cool thing I like about having no one else here is that I can sit here on the couch in the lounge room with my wireless laptop and write out this very blog post. Wireless is so great, and for all the tech heads out there, the 802.11n standard is on the cards, bringing a theoretical maximum data transfer rate of over 500 megabits per second and a typical rate of 200 megabits per second. Even at the typical rate that's still twice as fast as a standard wired LAN connection.

One more thing, I've been reading the Psalms as of late, and a lot of them have notes at the top saying that they were also songs. Some of them are indeed quite sad, with people writing (or singing) about all the trials and troubles that they have been facing, and how all the bad people have been treating them wrong etc. It got me thinking as to why there aren't many modern Christian songs that are written about sadder things, or of trails and troubles. I guess people would rather sing 'happy' songs in Church, but then the secular world seems to have no problems singing songs about other people problems. Then again maybe I should just listen to more Skillet. But then again bands like that seem to get shunned by a lot of Christians. Who knows.

I guess that almost wraps it up, although I do feel like I still have a lot more thoughts running through my head. Here's one, it's really fun to type out all this stuff while looking at the ceiling. That is, if you've been typing long enough to do it without having to look at the keyboard.

All I can say is that 2007 looks like a massive and exciting year, and I know I'll be running head-on into the fray.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger switch said...

Yeah I'm still bouncing around here and there :)


Good to see that your still around.

I haven't been online as much as usual because I have been playing Zelda on the Wii :)

3:17 PM  
Blogger Achi Myachi said...

BOO!

Yes, it's me, and I'm still on mission. muhahahaha...

No it's ok, they're all up at eaglehawk while I am doing my washing, as I don't have 2 weeks worth of certain articles of clothing, nor a mum to do it for me ;)

And I know what you feel about the loneliness thing. By the time I come back from kids4life, my housemate Rachel will be gone!! So then I have to wait until mid-late feb for Claire to move in

4:12 PM  
Blogger Christop said...

With regards to being bsuy: sounds like you're doing an awful lot of church stuff. Maybe you could give up church for Lent?

I think that these days Christians tend not to be into sad songs because Christianity's been made safe and comfortable.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Steff said...

Wow, so much stuff - where to start?

I wish music could affect me as much as it seems to move you.

I hate being home alone too, but I also hate being smothered.

There are sad Christan songs out there. I don't know many angry Christian ones though...

3:59 PM  
Blogger Christop said...

What about 'Shout to the Lord'?

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home