Sunday, August 20, 2006

The Missing

Odyssey, the Youth Group that I help run / attend, had it's yearly camp this last weekend, and of course I was there. It was held out in Mansfield, which is a good 3 hours drive from Bendigo, but it really was a great place to go.

Karen and Steve both did a really good job speaking, and I really enjoyed the opportunity to spend more time with some people I already knew but haven't spent a lot of time with. I spent a bit of time with Tim trying to crack The Missing Code which I really enjoyed, and also a fair bit of time with Zoe working on the sound stuff. I gained a fair bit of respect for her over the camp and hope she's able to join my sound crew at Short Street.

The Missing Code was given to us on the first night, and it was a series of numbers, each number representing a letter. Through doing challenges and activities, the teams were able to earn themselves letters, which would help them to decipher the code. For example, for completing an activity you might learn that F=16 and U=11. The last part of the code was a series of dashes and spaces, which marked out the spacing for the different words. Tim, who I mentioned earlier, as part of his studies at University is studding cryptography, and even with a small mistake in part of the dash sheet, he was able to crack The Code before midnight on the Friday night.

If you read that code (mouse over 'The Code' above) you'll notice that it mentions a double agent. That double agent turned out to be Luke, and while his team had 5 people out of the 10 at the end guess it was him, I was the only person not from his team that guessed him, which netted me a small box of favorites (which I shared with my team).

Some other things I really liked about the camp were the wide open spaces, running to try and pop another team's balloon in a tree before they got there, trying to photograph sheep that ran away from me, and of course using the speakers that were hooked up to each and every room at the campsite, including the dining room, each cabin and even the toilets.

Overall I don't have many regrets about camp, only slept in a cabin with Zeph, Matt, Flyn, Rob and Charles (:-P) and that I didn't take the opportunity to pull any kind of prank, such as announcing something over the sound system at 6am.

2 Comments:

Blogger switch said...

Yeah, the camp was great! I too enjoyed it. The code cracking was really fun, even if it was a tad easy.

BTW, like the blog...and the Zelda themed logo.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Achi Myachi said...

go team green!

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home